Monday, May 24, 2010

Blog Shmog Week 2

Hello all,

Here I am blogging again. This time to tell you about my subject area and some professional interests. I have been a teacher for and youth worker for a number of years. Beginning at age 13 I became a summer camp counselor and continued in that kind of work for the next 15 years off and on. I began teaching officially while in college and have continued in that occupation since.

Perhaps it is in my blood or just a way to repair the world one step at a time but education is my calling. Pretty nice that I have found a calling as opposed to having had to search for one.

Anyway, I have two B.A. degrees, one in German and another in History. History is more along the lines of my focus area than is German. I lived in Israel for 4 years and have studied the Hebrew language my entire life. Hebrew is another passion I have, both teaching and learning. I am a Martial Arts practitioner and I continue to teach in this field as well. Currently, I also teach a class called Ethics and Cultures which covers nearly anything under the sun of social sciences.

Where I intend to take this "calling" depends on life's twists and turns. For now see ya!

6 comments:

  1. It is good to see that you found your calling. It is always nice to love what you do and get paid for it. Makes it easier to go to work then again it really isn't work if you love it. What is a martial arts practitioner? Never heard of that. What style do you practice? My sister n law is a big time judo. She demonstrated one of her throws by literally throwing me (180 lbs) across our family room! Life's twists and turns definitely play a role in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you have found "your calling in life" with education. It sounds like you have a lot of interests that you can teach and share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post. I feel like teaching is my calling as well. My journey has also been exciting and full of unexpected twists. Good luck as you continue yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josh I think that's so cool you lived in Israel, I would love to visit there. My friend got to go scuba diving in the Red Sea and said it was amazing. Would love to hear more about Israel in a future blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ach! Du sprichst deutsch? Sehr gut! Ich habe deutsch seit drei Jahren gelernt.

    But that was in high school and I'm probably really out of practice now...

    Even though it's not your passion, I am glad to see another German "fan" out there.

    You sound like a very well-rounded individual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder how you have time to work on graduate courses with all those interests/passions. I love to travel and am looking forward to trip to the middle East. We should talk...

    ReplyDelete